Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I'll Have Some of That, Please

September 25, 2012

[A note about yesterday's post: I must apologize for all of the typos and any grammar mistakes in what I posted yesterday. I was so tired and typing on a laptop that I don't use often so it felt kinda funny. My typing is not perfect at anytime. But I had corrected so many mistakes and I still didn't find them all. I hope tonight's post is better.]

"I'll Have Some Of That, Please."

By the time Tom awoke this morning at about 5:50am, it was 47.3 degrees in the trailer and 43.6 degrees outside. We could not make enough heat with our bodies to heat both us and the trailer. Since we have such heavy sleeping bags we don't turn the heater on during the night. Tom is the one who awakens early so he gets up and turns the heater on and goes out to shave. I'm the one who benefits.  I fell back to sleep and finally got up at 6:30. Tom returned from shaving not too much later to a reasonably warm trailer.

We had a slow morning even though we wanted to leave the campground by about 9am to 9:30am. But it didn’t happen. When Tom registered at the office when we arrived he was given the number of the site where we will be on Columbus Day weekend. We wanted to look it up. We found it in the “corner” of a loop of “seasonal” people. These are the people who park their trailers there for the summer and come to visit them mostly on weekends. It’s a nice big place. We will enjoy it.

Also in the same loop is a large, about 6‘bear carved out of a real trunk of a tree. It is holding a sign with the people’s name on it and some other things. I would have taken a picture of it but the camera was back at the van. Tom said that we would be back there so we left it for the next time.

We found another trailer with some logs that were at least somewhat carved with a chain saw. There was a bear with a fishing pole that had a wood fish hanging on the line, a beaver, an eagle and a raccoon. I want pictures of all of these too.

We finally were on the road by 10am with a temperature of 59 degrees. One thing I realized as we were driving was that most of the “churches” that I did get to see were no longer holding worship services. They were senior centers, doctor’s offices, stores, etc. Is this the wave of the future? One town we went through didn’t have any churches in it, at least not along the main road through town.

Back to the geocaching: We did 3 caches today: two in MA before lunch and one in New Hampshire in the afternoon. The GPSR was acting like it should today but I still think we will probably need a new one. But then, again, maybe it’s acting funny because it needs to be used more often. But we’ve found a lot of the ones around us. Maybe we need to see if there are any new caches near us and go get them.

We didn’t get our 200 miles in until about 4pm. That’s much later than yesterday. It was a fantastically beautiful day. Just like yesterday. I’ll have another one just like it tomorrow, thank you, please.

We found the campground without a problem. It’s a KOA campground. We have never in our 40-something odd years of camping stayed in a KOA. It’s not a bad place. Very few people are here.

Tom and I set up camp. Then he went for gas as I was trying to make better sense out of the inside of the trailer. When he came back we had supper and did the dishes. Then came the blogs and the logging of the geocaching finds.

It was just about dark by 7pm. I’m not used to this. I liked it better this summer when it was 8:45pm and you could still see a bit. Bummer!

Now it is close to 9pm and it is 71 degrees inside (but that’s at the table where a laptop and a netbook are both creating heat) and 56 degrees outside. I know that soon I will be in bed.
Statistics for today:
221 miles driven today
4 hr 3 minutes actual travel time
6 hr 20 minutes from the time we started this morning until be pulled into this campground

No comments:

Post a Comment